Bombay Karachi Halwa, also known as Cornflour Halwa is an Indian sweet delicacy that is primarily made using corn flour, sugar, and water, and is flavoured with cardamom and ghee. With the holiday season around the corner, we thought this would be the perfect dessert for your fun evenings.
For this recipe, we have used Trust G-Low Sugar, G-LOW helps you get long-lasting energy by managing your weight without having to compromise on sweetness. And the best part, this sugar is diabetic friendly too!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
To Make Bombay Halwa
- Water - 2 Cups ( 500 ml )
- Trust G-Low Sugar - 2 Cups
- Cardamom Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Color Water
- Corn Flour Slurry (1 cup corn flour + 1 1/3 cups water)
- A Pinch Of Color Powder
- Ghee - 6 Tbsp
- Roasted Cashew Nuts - 1/4 Cup
- Roasted Almonds - 1/4 Cup
- Melon Seeds - 1/4 Cup
- For the corn flour slurry, take corn flour and water in a bowl. Mix well.
- To a pan, add ghee, cashews, almonds and melon seeds.
- Roast until they are slightly golden brown in colour. Turn off the stove, chop and keep them aside.
- Pour water in a kadai and add sugar to it. Dissolve the sugar completely.
- Add the cardamom powder and drop in the corn flour slurry.
- Keep the flame on medium and keep stirring with a whisk.
- Once the corn flour slurry thickens, reduce the flame to low.
- Mix the colouring agent with water in a small bowl and add the diluted colour mixture to the thickened corn flour mixture.
- Blend the colour and corn flour mixture and keep stirring for a while.
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee and mix well. Cook for 5 mins.
- Again add 2 tbsp of ghee and mix well. Cook for 5 mins.
- Add in 90% of the chopped nuts and mix again. Add 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Mix well and cook until the ghee separates and halwa has the dropping consistency.
- Grease the setting tin with ghee and place some chopped nuts on the base.
- Transfer the prepared halwa to the tin, spread it evenly and let it cool down completely.
- Then cover it with a silver foil and let it sit aside for 4 hours minimum to set properly.
That's it, beautifully set Bombay Karachi Halwa is ready to be cut into pieces and served.
To shop sugar, and ger started on this festive sweet, click below: