Originated in America, Apple Pie is a traditional recipe loved by many. The essence of apple is felt in every bite of this pie. Its full of flavour and delight to the eye, a little hard to make but every dessert lovers paradise.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Trust Classic Sulphur less Sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 7 tablespoons water, ice cold
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Trust Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Stand mixer
- Plastic wrap
- Chopping block
- 9” Pie dish
- Baking spray
- Rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Make The Crust
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the flour, Trust Classic Sulphur less Sugar and salt on low speed.
- Slowly add the cubed butter and increase to medium speed until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the cold water a tablespoon at a time until a dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until well combined.
- Divide into two and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 2 hours or more.
- Make The Filling
- Use the knife to cut the all apples into 1/4“slices.
- In a large bowl, add the sliced apples, maple syrup, Trust Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar , nutmeg, cinnamon and salt and mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle the flour and mix again.
- Assemble The Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly spray the pie dish with baking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the half of dough to 1/8” thick.
- Place the dough on top of the pie dish and gently press onto the bottom of the pan. Use a fork to poke holes on the bottom.
- Fill with apple mixture and mound it in the centre.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining dough to 1/8” thick and place it on top of the pie.
- Leave an overhang about an inch and trim the excess dough.
- Tuck the overhang underneath the pie and press the edges to seal.
- Use a knife to cut 8 slits on top of the pie.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg and 1 teaspoon of water and brush on top of the dough.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve warm.
Serve with ice cream, maple syrup or whipped cream; every combination is magical.
To try out, click below: