Shortbread is a traditional recipe from Europe, its origins being the old city of Scotland. Made with simple ingredients, this caramel shortbread is easy to make and loved by all. Brought together by the sweetness of Trust Icing Sugar, every baker’s dream! Our Icing Sugar is Lump free and dissolves instantly. A customer favourite, we assure you our castor sugar blends smoothly and is ideal for icing, fondues, whipped creams, filling, frostings and glazes.
Picture this: you take the shortbread out of the oven, with the chocolate and caramel oozing out. The bread is soft and melts in your mouth, we are drooling! You would too.
For the Shortbread Base
- 300 g gluten free plain flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional - but it helps!)
- 100 g Trust Premium Icing Sugar
- 200 g butter softened
For the Caramel
- 185 g butter
- 35 g Trust Premium Icing Sugar
- 65 g golden syrup
- 397 g condensed milk 1 tin
For the Chocolate Topping
- 200 g milk chocolate
- 80 g white chocolate
- Firstly, line a 9in (20cm) square tin with non-stick baking paper. Preheat your oven to around 160C Fan (180C).
- Cream together your softened butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Once combined, add in your plain flour and xanthan gum. Mix together once more. Use your hands to bring the dough together into a ball.
- Press your dough into your pre-prepared tin. Prick the top all over with a fork and place in the oven for 20-22 minutes until slightly golden on top. Put to one side and allow to cool.
- To make your caramel, place all your caramel ingredients into a saucepan on a low/medium heat. Allow the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve.
- Turn the heat up so the mixture starts to bubble a little. Keep stirring continuously for 5-8 minutes, the mixture should have thickened and also developed into a darker golden colour.
- Pour the caramel carefully and evenly over the shortbread base and place in the fridge for about 2 hours to set.
- Once your caramel is set, melt your milk and white chocolate in separate bowls. Pour the milk chocolate over the caramel, spreading it to the sides.
- Drizzle over the white chocolate and drag a skewer through it to make a pattern. Place in the fridge to set for another hour or so.
You can customise the bread decorations according to your fun moods! Shortbread is versatile and easy to make, and the ingredients are easy to find. Happy baking!
For more droolworthy recipes, click below: