Coffee mousse is a deliciously sophisticated dessert. It's the perfect ending for a dinner, and the recipe makes enough for eight servings, so it's also a great choice for dinner parties. A simple twist on chocolate mousse, this lovely dessert skips the chocolate entirely, focusing instead on the rich flavour of coffee alone. Of course, you can always dress it up with chocolate sauce if you like.
To enhance the caramelly rich taste, we have chosen Sunhera brown sugar (can be replaced by Demerara Coffee sugar too for an extra coffee flavour), known to add to the flavour of coffee, desserts, and ice cream. This mineral rich sugar is a 100% vegetarian sugar made from organic sugarcane extracts. Try this recipe to enjoy the divine taste.
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup strong coffee
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup Trust Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar (can replace it with Demerara Coffee sugar too)
- 1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin, softened in 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the evaporated milk and coffee. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until it just starts steaming.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and brown sugar.
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Add the warm egg-milk blend back into the hot milk in the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 165 F on a digital candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the softened gelatin. Chill the coffee custard thoroughly.
- Beat the heavy cream in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Thoroughly stir 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the chilled custard, and then gently fold in the remaining cream. The coffee mousse is ready when the custard is thoroughly incorporated into the whipped cream and no marbling shows. Serve the mousse chilled.
Since coffee is the major flavouring, make sure it's good and strong. Enjoy!
To shop Sunehra Mineral sugar, click below: