Are you looking for a weekend project to keep yourself busy while learning something new? How about something soft and warm from the oven? If you can imagine all this and your mouth has started watering, then fresh homemade croissants are waiting for you.
The golden brown texture by Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar is a treat for the eyes. The crisp flaky exterior and soft mushy interior will take you back to a quaint French bakery. And if you have a sweet tooth, then the glaze of Icing Sugar by Trust is your perfect match.
Note the ingredients and get ready for this delicate French pastry.
- For dough:
-500g (4 cups) all-purpose flour
-70g (0.5 cup) Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar by Trust
-60g (0.25 cup) unsalted butter
-1 tbsp instant yeast
-360ml (1.5 cups) cold milk
- For butter layer:
-354g (1.5 cups) unsalted softened butter
-16g (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- For egg wash:
-1 large egg
-30ml (2 tbsp) whole milk
- For glaze:
-50g (0.25 cup) Icing Sugar by Trust
-1tsp vanilla extract
Patience, love and a lot of rolling is all you need!
- Soften the butter and add flour, brown sugar, yeast and salt to it. Mix them well for a minute and slowly pour milk while mixing. Once all of the milk is added, knead for at least 5 full minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar by Trust gives a rich aroma to your croissants!
- Gently flatten the dough on a lightly floured silicone baking mat or a simple baking sheet. Wrap it up with a plastic or aluminum foil and allow the dough to cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and flatten it with your fingers. Roll the dough into a rectangle and wrap it up to refrigerate for another 4 hours or overnight.
- For the butter layer, mix butter and flour together until smoothly combined. Spread it out into a rectangle using a spoon and chill for 30 minutes. If the layer gets too firm, let it sit out at room temperature for a few minutes to soften.
- Now comes the laminating step! In this step, you will be rolling out the dough and folding it, and folding and once more. Remove both the butter layer and dough from the refrigerator. Place the butter layer in the center of the dough and seal the edges. Roll the dough into a rectangle and fold it again. Continue this process for 3 times to make 81 layers! If the dough becomes warm while working, cover it up and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll the dough into a rectangle and using a sharp knife, cut the dough into two vertical halves. Then cut 3 even pieces horizontally and slice each of them diagonally to make 2 triangles. Stretch out the triangles and cut a small slit at the wider end. Roll it up tightly making a crescent shape and bend the ends slightly towards each other. Wrap them up and keep at room temperature for an hour and in the refrigerator for another hour.
- Preheat your oven at 204°C (400°F) and remove the croissants from the refrigerator. Whisk the egg wash ingredients together and brush it on each croissant. Bake them for about 20 minutes until they turn golden brown. Remove the croissants from the oven and cool them.
- Time for some sweet garnish! Blend all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over the warm rolls. Icing Sugar by Trust adds the sweet magic to your croissants as it pairs so well with the buttery flavour! These croissants taste best the same day they are baked and can be stored for a few days.
With every bite of these oven warm croissants, your heart will crave for more. The natural molasses in Sunehra Mineral Brown Sugar by Trust gives a bit more crunch to the outside of each croissant while adding the goodness of calcium, iron and other nutrients to it.